8 years ago
Sunday, March 1, 2009
My Little Man
Joshua has grown up sooooo much this year! School has ALWAYS been a struggle for him...especially reading. He has always read 2-3 grade levels below where he was supposed to be. This has been going on since kindergarten. He has been tested and retested looking for a reason for his difficulty, but results were always "normal". Most parents look forward to the end of summer and their kids going back to school, I didn't. I was just the opposite. I hated when school started. Before this year, EVERY evening was a war in our house. He hated doing the work because it was difficult for him, and frankly he was a little lazy. We would fight and argue and I had to constantly push him to do the minimum. I could not understand his lack of ambition. I never understood why just getting by and doing the minimum was OK with him. I usually ended up doing a lot of his work for him just because I couldn't bear the idea of another evening of fighting. It was horrible for both of us. When we moved to Arkansas and registered Joshua for 6th grade I told him that he was either going to pass 6th grade or he was going to fail 6th grade, but he was going to do it on his own. I was no longer going to subject myself and our family to the sick ritual we had each night of anger and bad feelings. I would help him with big project if he needed it, or if he was absolutly stuck on something, but other than that he was on his own. This was a big step for me. My fear that he wouldn't succeed was what kept me helping him and enabling him all of these years, but I knew it had to be done if he was to ever to be a successful student. Well, we started school and I stuck to my guns. It was tough at first but in just a short time Joshua saw how I was serious about what I said and it was time to sink or swim. The turn-around he has done academically this year has been amazing! He is the student I always knew he could be and MUCH, MUCH, more. He has had a little help on 2 lage projects he has had, but other than that he has done everything on his own, and has gotten straight A's all year to date. This is far more than I had ever hoped for. I was just hoping for B's and C's, and praying for A's and B's. He is so concerned about every bit of what he does. He is organized and on top of all of his assignments. He studies for tests on his own....as a matter of fact, I usually don't even know he has one unless he tells me or I overhear him talking to a friend. The tranformation is nothing short of a miracle in our house. It has been such a blessing for us and for Joshua. I have never seen him so proud...he just beams. I am so proud of him! I don't know what clicked but I think he finally has it figured out. The other thing that has brought him great joy this year is getting the priesthood. It has really completed our little transformation in him. His spirit has changed this year and I am even more proud of him than I was before. I thank Heavenly Father each day for the beautiful son that he sent me and pray that I can continue to make good decisions and guide him each day. I love you Josh!

Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
What great news!! You've earned bragging rights MOM.
That is fabulous! You should be proud of him. I watched him pass the sacrament today and thought what a fine young man he is. Good for him and good for you mom (you stuck to your guns and did what you said!)
Post a Comment