Monday, March 9, 2009

Our Newest Addition

After what seemed like forever, Bodhi was finally old enough to go pick up. The kids and I had planned to go pick him up on a Saturday, but JC came home and announced that he had the day off the Thursday before and I jumped at the chance to have an extra adult for our adventure. So Neely, JC, and I went and picked up Bodhi. The breeder we bought him from lives in Dexter, MO. I was excited to go because I have never been up that way. Well, I wasn't missing much. There is NOTHING up that way! It's even ugly...a lot like Kansas...just flat and tiny, tiny, farm towns. The interstate doesn't even go through. It stopped at a certain point, then you had to get off and go down the old little 2 lane highways, then the interstate started up again once you got to Missouri. It was very strange. Anyway...when we got to her house, I was able to see Bodhi's mom and dad. I had seen pictures of them, but it was different in person. His mom was a very pretty harlequin (white with black spots), and his dad was the BIGGEST black dog I had ever seen. I mean, they are Great Danes...of coarse they are big...but he was HUGE!! I even had a few moments to myself of "What in the world was I thinking??" His name is T-Bone. The top of his back came to the top of my hip. Then add his neck and head....he literally wasn't much shorter than me! He was GINORMOUS!! There aren't enough adjectives. Well, Bodhi's mom was smaller, so hopefully he will be a good middle.

It has been a ton of work having him home. The first few nights he was up every few hours just like an infant. Boy that got old fast! I guess I'm not as ready for a baby as I'd like to think I am. :) Now he sleeps just fine through the night. He is a ton of fun to play with, although I think our Beagle, Max, is wishing he would go away. Bodhi tries to play with anyone that will have him, including the cats. That gets pretty darn funny. They will entertain him for a few moments until he decides to pounce, and then he gets a face full of claws and takes off yelping. Then 5 minutes later goes back for more! He makes us laugh all the time.

He is growing soooo fast! I expected him to grow, but I had no idea. Sometimes when I get him up in the morning I think I can see that he actually grew overnight!! It's been just over a week and I have already had to loosen his collar a notch! (It was big on him when I put it on him) At this rate, he will be bigger than Max before spring break. I wonder how that will go....hmmmm.

Well, all these firsts keep me on my toes and it has been a fun new adventure for our family! Our Bodhi has been a great addition to the family!

His eyes were a neat surprise! I had not been able to see it on the videos the breeder sent...I think it's cool!

3 comments:

jennifer rogers said...

oh i want to meet him in person! We ought to take abby and bohdi on a walk together that would be a lot of fun! He is a beauty!

Our Happy Family said...

What a beautiful dog!!! I love his eyes, how awesome.

lindsee said...

yes yes yes how fun for YOU and YOUR family. my eyes are watering just looking at your pictures!!!